Spring Soups: Roasted Carrot Cauliflower




This soups entry into this world was serendipitous. I was looking to make asparagus soup, and Trader Joe's couldn't be troubled to stock any fresh. (And I cannot ABIDE frozen). 

Lo, and behold...they had a beautiful, ENORMOUS bag of organic, multi-colored carrots. They called to me. They beseeched me to turn them into something meaningful. I answered the call.

Their is no rocket science to my soup making, if you haven't realized that already from previous soup recipes. My focus is on ease of preparation, taste, volume and health. Basically I like to make a whole lotta something that won't make me look like a human bowling ball. 

Now, you may be thinking,  "Carrot soup? That sounds disgusting!" Which, trust me, WAS a thought running through my head, but, I must say, that it is the most popular soup recipe I have come up with so far. (Terrence asked for seconds on consecutive nights.)


Gather:
2-3lbs organic carrots (multicolored are more fun but unnecessary)
1 head of organic cauliflower
1 48oz container of vegetable stock
olive oil for roasting
salt, pepper and seasonings of choice to taste
Optional: gloucester cheese 

Method:
-Preheat oven to 380*F
-Cut carrots into small nubs. About the size of your finger. (Do NOT cut your fingers.)
-Break cauliflower into small, white cauliflower trees. (you know what I mean)
-Arrange on separate roasting pans (who are we kidding? Cookie sheets obviously.)
-Toss with a few tbsps of olive oil and season with salt and pepper (and other seasonings. I used 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe's)
-Roast cauliflower about 20-25 mins or just beginning to brown. Remove from oven
-Roast carrots for about 35-40 minutes or until soft. 
-In small batches, puree in a blender with vegetable broth until smooth. Will be thinner or thicker depending on how much broth you use. Top with small slices of cheese and enjoy immensely. 

The carrots have a very complex, rich, flavor when roasted, and the cauliflower lends a bit of 'creaminess' to the soup. 

Eat well, and see you back on Weds + Friday for some lovely Paris posts. xx





Popular Posts